TCBOB

Monday, May 27, 2013

#51 - Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Wait a second - that doesn't sound like a book that Kris would read!  You are totally right - it doesn't! However, I live in a house with boys - boys who dig SciFi - boys who have already read Ender's Game and are piddling on the floor over the trailers for the upcoming movie adaptation of it.  So - I decided I could audiobook my way through a SciFi book on their behalf.  And...it pains me to say...I didn't hate it.

In fact...

I kinda liked it.

Written in 1985,  Orson Scott Card is easily the grandfather to the dystopian novels that exist today (think Hunger Games).  Kids fighting wars. Alien threats. The imposition of governments on families, religions and thoughts.  If you take away the backdrop of space, the core of the book is really about the abilities and limitations of people and strategy for survival in dire circumstances.

The other reason that I liked this book so much is that the audiobook production was superb.  It was more like listening to a radio play than an audiobook.  At the end there was a commentary by Orson Scott Card where he talked about being a playwright before he was an author and that the audiobook was what he thought of as the ideal way to experience this book.

Goodreads rating: 4 stars

On deck (audio): Memory in Death by JD Robb
In progress: Where'd you Go Bernadette by Maria Semple


No comments:

Post a Comment