TCBOB

Monday, May 27, 2013

#50 - Inferno by Dan Brown

Halfway to my goal of 100 books this year!  Right on schedule!

I was waiting for this book.  I have long been a fan of Dan Brown's writing and have read everything he has written, including the "non-Langdon" novels.  So I waited up until midnight of release day so I could download and start the newest one.  I really wanted to love it like I have some of the other books in the Langdon series...

The good: In classic Brown style, the book is fast paced and action packed.  I really enjoy getting a little bit of history with my fiction and there were enough little nuggets in here to keep it interesting.  The premise, combining concepts like population control and the historical view of Hell through the eyes of the Masters like Dante, Vasari and others, was enough to hold your attention and keep you intrigued.

The bad: **Sigh** I am usually happy when I don't see plot twists coming, predictability in my book is bad.  However, while I didn't see the way this setup was going to unravel, I din't really buy into the storyline when it did.  I can see misjudging the motivations of one or two characters but when absolutely nothing is what it seems, it gets to be too much for a reasonable suspension of reality.  The same goes for the cryptic clues that the villain leaves behind.  Why?  Do they want to be stopped? Really?

The ending was good - the final reveal of the threat that was actively being prevented was really interesting and leaves you thinking about what you would do and how humanity would react if this was really something that happened.

Keep it in your "to read" list! Just go into it with a realistic expectation of what you are going to find inside.

Goodreads rating: 3.5 stars (rounded down for the site)

In Progress (audio) Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
On Deck: Where'd you go Bernadette by Maria Semples


No comments:

Post a Comment