TCBOB

Thursday, May 16, 2013

#46 - Matched by Ally Condie

**sigh** This has been on my "to read" list for awhile so when I found it on my library's audio book site I put it on hold.

Here's the thing.  I generally enjoy a nice tale of Government gone wild, the juxtaposition of the Utopian/dystopian society, and youth revolt.  That being said, I don't feel like this series brought anything new to the genre.  In general, I find this to be The Hunger Games in reverse - whereas Suzanne Collins went from the perspective of the oppressed revolting, Ally Condie takes the viewpoint of those who are living the "good life" and realizes that things are not as they seem.  Oh, and there are less dead kids at the end of this one (at least not that we know of)

I've read some criticism of the love triangle, etc but really - when the premise is that Cassia is to be Matched by society to her perfect mate, it is to be assumed that there will be another boy to get in the way of that happy ever after.

I will read the other two books in the series, but I'm pretty neutral about this one.

Goodreads rating: 2.5 rounded up to 3 stars

On Deck (audio) Born in Death by JD Robb
In Progress: Inferno by Dan Brown (all other reading has been preempted until Robert Langdon is avenged)



No comments:

Post a Comment