TCBOB

Monday, May 13, 2013

#45 - Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

I am so glad that this was not another book on "Memory Techniques" that try to teach you about how to improve your memory.  Instead, Joshua Foer presented the pros and cons of improving your memory and along the way describes his training to accidentally become the United States Memory Champion.

When I was in college I spent more time trying to learn how to remember things than I did trying to actually study the material, Mega Memory was a favorite but I found a similar conclusion that Foer did in his book; that memorizing something is not the same as learning it.  The brain is one of the most important organs but its still a mystery in form and function.  The journalistic approach to this topic was really interesting and enjoyable.

I moved between a 3 and 4 rating but ended up rounding down just because there were a couple of chapters that didn't really hold my attention and could have probably been cut off a bit.  I will definitely be reading more of Joshua Foer's writing.

Goodreads rating: 3 stars

On Deck (audio) Born in Death by J.D. Robb
In Progress: Sway by Amber McRee Turner


No comments:

Post a Comment