TCBOB

Thursday, June 27, 2013

#60 - Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

I don't even know where to begin with this book.  Before this adventure I had only ever read short stories by Kurt Vonnegut and really enjoyed his writing style so I thought this would be an interesting read for my road trip with my family.

It started out really interestingly.  I was having a good time following the intersecting paths of the two main characters - I have always had a crazy curiosity about what other people are doing at the same time as I am doing something else.

Somewhere in the second half we took a left turn at Albuquerque.  The concept that Vonnegut puts out that there are no minor characters in his books starts to wear a little bit thin as we get back story on every.single.character and the main plot line gets extremely muddled when the author literally writes himself into the novel as a character.  I'm totally OK with metaphor...you don't have to hit me over the head with your personal epiphany when the event that has been foreshadowed through the entire book is actually occurring.

Goodreads rating: Completely neutral 2.5 since I liked the first half and disliked the second half.

In Progress: The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz


Sidenote: I just got back from a 10 day vacation with my family and only finished 1.6 novels.  30 hours in the car should have yielded more reading than this! Darn the family and their needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment