TCBOB

Monday, June 10, 2013

#57 - Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan

Where to start on this crazy memoir?  First of all - don't start this book while lying in bed trying to fall asleep - I can almost guarantee that you will have nightmares of waking up in a psych ward in a straight jacket.

It seems that, along with my weird-o obsession with the military mind, my reading has directed me toward other books about the brain.  Cahalan's "month of madness" is fascinating to me because of the quick onset of her hallucinations and manic symptoms.  I have long battled depression so I can relate to some of what she was going through but I couldn't imagine that all of this hit her within the span of about a month and resolved in the span of less than a year.  I don't know how you can ever put a real life back together without a fear of having your mind and cognitive function slip away without warning.

I was inspired by the way that her family (even her divorced parents and new spouses) and boyfriend banded around her and fought for an answer even when it seemed hopeless.  I only pray that I have people around me who would still be able to see "me" under the madness.

It's not a good time romp and not one for the beach bag but it is worth the time to read it!

Goodreads rating: 4 stars

On Deck: Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
In Progress: The Social Animal by David Brooks


No comments:

Post a Comment