TCBOB

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

#54 - No Easy Day by Mark Owen

Looking back on my reading list for this year I have noticed a heavy emphasis on military themed reading.  What a weird phenomenon since I don't love guns and killing and war, but I do like hearing about strategy, the way the mind works under stress and in extreme situations.

No Easy Day is part autobiography, and only about 1/3 about the mission that killed Bin Laden but the two meshed together really well.  The first part of the book went through Mark's training from "buds" all the way up to Navy Seal Team Six.  That journey really set up for me what it takes to become an elite soldier in the American military.  The strength and dedication to reach those goals are almost unbelievable.

When it came to the actual mission itself, Owen admits that it is pretty anticlimactic, it was "just another mission" that had flaws and unexpected incidents, the only thing that was unique about it was the specific target they were going after.

All in all I'm really glad that I found this on my library's audiobook lending site.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars

On Deck (audio): D is for Deadbeat by Sue Grafton
In progress: The Silver Star by Jeanette Wall
Brain on Fire by Suzannah Cahalan
Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semples

Hello Bottleneck!

No comments:

Post a Comment