TCBOB

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

#58 - The Obituary Writer by Ann Hood

Oh how I love great writing and Ann Hood doesn't disappoint with The Obituary Writer.  I first saw this book show up on my New York Times Best Seller list a couple of weeks ago and was thrilled when I saw it show up on my library's audio book offerings since I was already into a physical book at the time.  

The story and the characters were really beautiful and very realistic.  I could immediately relate to the character of Claire who felt like she had a perfect life but something was just "off".  Just as endearing was the story of Vivien who learned about her life through writing obituaries for those who have lost their loves, just as she did through the murky lens of the earthquake of 1909.

If I were rating this book just on the merits of the writing and the emotion of the novel it would be 5 stars easily.  What got me was - as is almost always the case - was the ending.  There was a pretty predictable twist where the stories of these two women come together which is an easy turn off for this reader.  The only other loose end that was a bit dissatisfying was what I felt was a hazy resolution of Vivien's storyline and her missing lover.  I'm sure a conversation with my fellow posse member might illuminate that situation a little further.  But for now my missing star stands...

If I ever die, I want my obituary to sound like Vivien wrote them.  I love the idea of writing more about the way a life is lead than how they were born and died.  Great read - beautifully written.  Highly recommended.

Goodreads rating: 4 stars (more of a 4.5 but rounded down)

In Progress: Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
(audio): Shut Up, Quit Whining and Get a Life by Larry Winget



No comments:

Post a Comment