TCBOB

Saturday, June 8, 2013

#56 - The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls

A huge thank you goes out to Scribner publishing, Jeanette Walls and Netgalley for allowing me an advaced look at Walls' first attempt at fiction writing. This book represents another time that I wish that goodreads offered half stars because this novel deserves more of a 3.5 in my book. 

As in her memoirs, Walls creates memorable characters and stories.  After reading her personal story, you could see a lot of herself and her experiences shining through the character of Bean.  I enjoyed the "coming of age" aspect of the story as Bean and Liz struggle to take care of themselves and finally find stability and a real home.  It would have to be painful to realize that your mother is a flakey fraud.

There was just something that felt a tad rushed about the novel as a whole. While I loved the characters, I wanted more of their internal dialogue during certain important situations and less during the less important  situations.  I would not have been sad if there was another 50 pages or so added to this one so we could explore more about Bean's feeling for her father, what's really going on in Liz's mind during the charges/trial portion of the book (sorry trying not to be spoilerific).

I hope that Jeannette Walls keeps exploring fiction.  It was a good first blush and I think it will only get better over time.

Goodreads rating 3.5 stars (Bring out the half stars!!!)

In progress: Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan (nook)
The Social Animal by David Brooks (audio)

No comments:

Post a Comment