TCBOB

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

#59 - Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

There have been a lot of mixed reviews among my reader friends about this book but, on a trip to Target with Mandi I bought a physical copy of it as a birthday present to myself.

It was a totally good investment.  I pulled this one out in just a couple of nights.  The writing style is a little bit jarring at first as Semple oscillates between what seems like completely unrelated emails, memos and the narrator of 15 year old Bee.  Stick with it through the first fifty pages and I swear you will not be disappointed by how it is all brought together!

Bernadette is such a complex and quirky character (as if the title and cover didn't clue you in to that fact).  I almost uncomfortably related to her manic bursts of creativity followed by lulls of monotony.  Yeah I will admit, there is a little jag in part 3 where things go off the rails just a little bit but I loved the way it ended and the journey that Bernadette took in the meantime.

I truly can't wait to hear what the posse has to say about this one! My copy has coffee stains and a worn cover because I just couldn't put it down!

Goodreads rating: 5 stars (Finally one with no rounding!!!)

In Progress: (audio) Shut Up, Quit Whining, and Get a Life by Larry Winget


No comments:

Post a Comment