TCBOB

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

#100(!!!!) The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

My inner geek girl is twirling in my head - I finished book #100 at about 6:00 on New Year's Eve - not exactly what I had planned on doing but work yesterday was so incredibly crazy that every time I walked out the door with my nook in hand I got stopped or someone needed something.  I was going nuts!  It should not have taken me so long to finish 40 pages.  The important thing is they got read. I made my goal and I'm crazy happy about it!

On to the review: I'm not really sure how I feel about this one.  The writing was impeccable but that is to be expected from Neil Gaiman.  There were some intriguing metaphysical concepts that were discussed and - for a YA type novel - explored just enough.  I was sucked in with the mysterious appearance of the coins and manifestation through dreams. 

My issue with the book is that it didn't seem as cohesive as I wanted it to be.  A lot of things happened but the thread that held it all together was pretty thin.  I would have liked a little more meat around the bones of where Ursula originated.  It's not my normal genre so I don't have a lot to char

If you are a fan of the paranormal, I bet this would be a great book for you (it won a goodreads award for 2013 Best Fantasy) It's just not my cup of tea.

Goodreads rating: 3 stars

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15783514-the-ocean-at-the-end-of-the-lane?from_choice=true

No comments:

Post a Comment