TCBOB

Sunday, December 15, 2013

#94 - Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich

I don't know what I expected.  Actually I knew exactly what I expected
- I expected a quick book to read - OK I will give it that - I read it in about a minute and a half mainly because a good 20% of the book is exactly the same information that was conveyed in the last 19 novels.  Really Janet? I think we all know who the characters are and what they look like and how you got there.  Very few readers are going to pick up what is quite obviously the 20th book in the series and expect a full recap of everyone.  Give us some credit.

- I expected some quirky fun - Meh, I don't know why Evanovich thought a giraffe was the whimsical push that her books were missing but - well - it wasn't

- I expected indecision between Morelli and Ranger: check.

- I expected no plot development and improbable situations and resolutions.

What I didn't expect was how much I am beginning to loathe Stephanie.  I am practically begging Ranger to quit enabling Stephanie to feel like she is better at this stuff than she actually is.  I want something really bad to happen to her just so everyone will finally write her off.  If I were a quitter, I would quit on this series.  Unfortunately my OCD tendencies prohibit me from truly quitting...but c'mon Evanovich.  Quit phoning this in and wrap it the hell up already or kill off an important character or do  SOMETHING to keep this series from going stale (to quote my lovely friend who was too sweet to write this but I couldn't resist including it for public consumption.  Just because you can poop on a page and it will be a best seller doesn't mean you should)

Goodreads rating: 2 stars - just because my expectations were low to begin with so I wasn't disappointed enough to demote this to a 1 star rating which means it is virtually unreadable.  I finished it - therefore it was a 2 star read.

In progress: We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver
On Deck: The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17908462-takedown-twenty

No comments:

Post a Comment