TCBOB

Sunday, December 29, 2013

#99 - The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

NINETY NINE!  This is book #99 that I have read this year.  I'm a little freaked out!  I'm going to make my goal! **ok geek out over**

This book was a crazy surprise to me.  Forget about the "racing" part of the story - its there but its not overwhelmingly male.   I never thought that a book that was narrated by a dog would be so compelling but, if you think about it, who better to tell the story about the rise and fall of a family than the pet who is a silent observer of everything that happens in a household.  Everything in this book made me want to go home and hug my puppy and make sure that he knows how much he is a loved and valued member of our family.

The story itself (even without the dog part) is one awful twist after another.  It makes you wonder how people can be so just plain mean to each other. Poor Denny, the main character, suffers so much loss that is always followed by a slap in the face.

Tissue alert for the last chapter.  Beautiful tears, though, gorgeous ones.

Goodreads rating: 5 stars


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3153910-the-art-of-racing-in-the-rain


On deck: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman.

No comments:

Post a Comment