TCBOB

Saturday, December 28, 2013

#96 - The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

Wow - I want to start with a huge thank you to Netgalley, Sue Monk Kidd and Penguin Group Viking for allowing me an advanced reader copy of "The Invention of Wings".

This is a wonderful story of two women growing up in pre Civil War South Carolina, one (Hetty "Handful")  is a slave, the other (Sarah Grimke) a woman of privilege.  When, on her 11th birthday, Sarah is gifted Hetty as a personal maid, ideas and plots were set in motion that would change the life of both of those women.

I am so disheartened reading this story that people were ever treated as the slaves in the south were.  I had a visceral reaction to each of the punishments that were described in this book.  Oh how I want to believe that this is just fiction not history...

I have been trying to pinpoint exactly what kept me from a five star rating on this book, The writing was lovely, I adored the characters of Hetty and her slave family, and the end left me wondering about the future for all of the characters involved.  I think it was parts of Sarah's story that got a little muddled near the middle that lost a little bit of the complete wow factor on my end...but looking back through the plots I couldn't point to one specific part of the book that I thought should be eliminated in favor of another.

I can see why this was chosen for Oprah's Book Club 2.0.  It is a beautiful tale and really shows the heart of those who go through and are stronger for their own oppression.  Do yourself a favor and pick it up when it becomes available on January 7th.

Goodreads rating: 4.5 stars (oh how I wish there were a true half rating.)

Date completed: December 25, 2013

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18079776-the-invention-of-wings

No comments:

Post a Comment