TCBOB

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

#30 - The Chamber by John Grisham

Are you kidding me?  You are going to end this VERY long book like THAT?  Seriously????

That last sentence pretty much sums up my experience with this novel.  I listened to this on audio and I'm glad I wasn't in the car as I might have fallen asleep.  You could cut about 150 pages out of the middle of this book and not missed a darn thing.  I'm not sure if Grisham meant for us to be sympathetic to Sam's death row visit but it didn't work.  The story of redemption through contact with his long lost family fell short.  The legal maneuvering dragged on and on and by the end of the book I really didn't care if they send the guy to the gas chamber or granted him a stay of execution.

I won't give away the ending...needless to say I wasn't pleased with the result, but let me say this, if Sam were to get a stay of execution I would have been mad for the book being cliche and unrealistic, if Sam had gets the gas chamber I would have been mad at the book for wasting pages of back story just to kill him off.  You can decide which one would piss me off more, but neither ending would have made me feel like the hours spent listening to this novel were worth it.

***Rant Over***

Goodreads rating: 2 stars

In Progress: (fiction) Me before you by Jojo Moyes
(non-fiction) Holy Shit by Melissa Moher



No comments:

Post a Comment