TCBOB

Monday, April 29, 2013

#39 - Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

This was one of those books.  You know the ones that I'm talking about, its the one that is perfect anyway but its made even more perfect by knowing that a friend had a personal connection to the story.

All throughout this book I oscillated between being outraged by the treatment of the AIDS infected characters from back in the late 1980's and hopeful about the future by seeing how far we have come in the past several decades.  Growing up in the time period where HIV was a true mystery, I could relate to the misconceptions and fear associated with the advent of a new disease.

The friendships that are illustrated throughout Tell The Wolves I'm Home are vivid and extremely believable.  The main character is only 14 years old in the book, Rifka-Brunt was able to paint her with the appropriate blend of childishness, budding maturity, and headstrong attitude.

I was so worried to read the last 20 pages, I knew it would be sad but I really wanted it to end as genuinely as the rest of it was written.  Luckily I wasn't disappointed and I turned the last page with a satisfied sigh.  Go read this book.

Goodreads Rating: 5 twinkling stars

In Progress: (audio) Disclosure by Michael Crichton


No comments:

Post a Comment