TCBOB

Thursday, March 28, 2013

#29 - I'll Take What She Has by Samantha Wilde

I was fortunate enough to have received a galley copy of this book from Netgalley and noticed that it was set to expire so I bumped it up on my reading list.  Many thanks to the publisher, author and netgalley for making it available to me.

After some pretty intense reading at the beginning of the  month I was looking for some easy, lighthearted reading and this definitely fit the bill.  In fact I floated halfway through this book without even realizing how far I had gotten.

The writing bounces between two main characters, Nora and Annie, and within each character there were pieces that were in the present day and some flashback moments.  Here's the problems with that; both characters were written in exactly the same voice and style, both had similar issues with Cynthia (the object of their contempt), and there was no discernible break between reality and flashback.  It left me scratching my head in several places and rolling my eyes in others.

I know that there are many women who struggle with envy, and "grass is greener" thinking, unfortunately, I am not really one of them and reading about it for three hours kind of made me nauseous that there are thirty - somethings that still engage in this kind of high school battle for popularity and friendship.

So - that being said, I am not mad that I read it and if you are drawn to mommy angst driven chick lit, throw it in your beach bag and read it over the summer, it will be a nice distraction for you.

Goodreads rating: 2.5 stars I am so neutral I could coast

On Deck: Fiction - I am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak
NonFiction: Drift by Rachel Maddow

Ready to finish: Weight by Jeanette Winterson, and Holy Shit by Melissa Mohr


No comments:

Post a Comment