TCBOB

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

#18 - Hacker Mom by Austen Rachlis

I received this as a goodreads promotional copy. 

Well - that was one of those kinds of books that was kind of just there. I didn't love it - didn't hate it. I took me a really long time to read through. It was sent to me as a .pdf file so it limited my reading to the computer and my phone.  I would put it down and then pick it back up but I guess it didn't engage me as much as I hoped it would.

Some of the characters and connections got really convoluted and I wasn't quite sure why we got so much back story on some (James for instance) and virtually none on others (Ego). I understood and even related to the protagonist, Becky, who was a stay at home mom and looking for some adventure in her life so she took on a role as a volunteer with a whistle-blowing organization.  Some of the twists that happened, especially near the end at the final confrontation I didn't quite buy into and actually went back to reread the last chapter to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Recently, I discovered that Hacker Mom was initially a Kindle mini-series, released in parts and then consolidated into one book.  That would explain the somewhat choppy flow of the reading, the bouncing back and forth didn't seem seamless in novel format but it would may have made more sense if you were reading it as four separate parts.  

Overall, I would recommend Hacker Mom as a weekend/summer/on an airplane kind of read.  It's fairly short so shouldn't take much time if you don't nibble on it in little pieces like I did.

Goodreads Rating: 3 stars (rounded up from 2.5)
On Deck: In the Body of the World by Eve Ensler (on PAPER even - and yes I am still eating the elephant of Cutting for Stone a bite at a time)
In Progress (audio): Visions in Death by JD Robb.



No comments:

Post a Comment