TCBOB

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

#14 - The Pelican Brief by John Grisham

No - I haven't fallen off the reading wagon - I just got...um...bottle necked for a little while.  Lots of longer books in progress and several at a time due to crazy things like going to the gym without my eReader and starting a different book in iBooks.  At present I have three books still pending so look out last half of February, it's going to be a busy time for this blogger!

On to the review: Consistent with my lawyer theme of this year I got through the third John Grisham novel of the summer on audio.  Thank GOODNESS the narrator wasn't the same one who did The Firm.  I actually really enjoyed this book, the reveal of the characters and plot happened gradually, only spilling information when it was necessary to know it at the time.  The main character, Darby Shaw, was the kind of woman I would like to be. Smart and confident and cunning and beautiful.  I really enjoyed her journey from law school student to the person she became.

My one criticism was that some of the characters were a little hard to follow - mostly because I was listening to it on audio and some of the names were pretty similar (Gray Grantham and Gavin Verheek) it goes back and forth between the White House, FBI and the newspaper so sometimes it was a challenge to keep each set of characters  compartmentalized between the three entities.  Other than that though it was a really good little piece of casual literature.

Goodreads rating: 4 stars (rounded up from 3.5)
In progress: Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (25%)
Hacker Mom by Austen Rachlis (60%)
Coming Back Stronger by Drew Brees (set to finish tonight or tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment