TCBOB

Sunday, February 3, 2013

#13 - The Firm by John Grisham

The busy season for work has arrived early this year and sucked up all of my free reading time.  Even though I have updated my "currently reading" shelf on goodreads, the truth is, I have only gotten about four chapters into Cutting for Stone and half way through Hacker Mom.  It makes me sad.

Back to "The Firm".  Part of this review I blame on the narrator of the audiobook.  His tone was really uninteresting and bordered on being just completely bored.  It made the slightly uninteresting story even more uninteresting.

The book has a LOT(!!!) of slow moving exposition made even slower by the disinterested reader.  Lots of the book is "sitting in the office making copies" and very little centers around any type of action and the end was just a little bit too neat and tidy for all of the build up from the previous 450 pages.

I liked the concept of a kind of Stepford Law Firm hiding money for the mob but the book could have been about 200 pages shorter and still gotten the same point across.  It's worth a look if you enjoy Grisham but not at the top of my reading list for sure.

Goodreads rating: 2 stars (rounded down from 2.5)

On deck (audio): The Pelican Brief by John Grisham
Currently reading: Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

No comments:

Post a Comment