TCBOB

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

#8 - Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson

Let me set the stage.  I had had a TRULY awful day that was filled with such experiences such as, getting up ungodly early (read: 6:45am - early for a Saturday) and then finding out that I could have spent two more hours in bed which meant that I killed time at Walmart which lead to someone bashing into my car in the Walmart parking lot then driving off.  What's a girl to do?

I turned to my slightly dysfunctional but extremely helpful Book Posse (the real name shall remain nameless) to find some light reading that would make me feel better.  You would think that this would be an easy task since each of us easily has 500 books in our "Read" and "To Read" queues until all four of us realized that our reading list only includes depressing literature.  My sweet Mandi Lindsey(!!!)came up with the solution and recommended "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson.  She is a genius - don't believe me? Check here.  Well you can click there but Lindsey can be found here

Know what? It worked!!! I laughed like an idiot and my eight year old son kept asking me what had me so tickled and I would just say something like "bovine insemination" and continue reading.  Jenny writes like she is one of my own crazy friends and a little bit like my crazy, scattered brain.  I completed about 3/4 of the book in one sitting...then the last 50 pages took me about three days to complete because I had to do things like take care of my family and go to work and other less pleasant things.

Just a disclaimer: Topics included but not limited to that are addressed in this book, the incorporation of dead animals into both fashion and home decor, the above mentioned bovine insemination story, social ineptitude,  and multiple arguments with her husband that will make you think that Victor must be the most tolerant man in the whole world.  Oh yeah, and she also says Vagina, Vulva and Stabbing...a lot!

If none of this bothers your delicate sensibilities and you are in a foul mood, tell your book club friends to remind you of this book and enjoy!

Goodreads rating: 5 stars

On deck (nook): Damned by Chuck Palahniuk
In Progress (audio): A Time to Kill by John Grisham

2 comments:

  1. Hey now, I was the one with the suggestion. I agree that Mandi is a genius, but I was the true genius in this scenario! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was feeling a little offended that you called our posse "slightly dysfunctional". Dammit! I'm either full-on dysfunctional or not at all! But, then I saw that Lindsey called me a genius and I decided that I'd forgive you. :)

    ReplyDelete