TCBOB

Saturday, January 12, 2013

#7 - C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton

I love audiobooks.  It's no secret.  It's a great way to while away the miles on more "guilty pleasure" books while saving my reading time for things that really feed my mind.

"C is for Corpse" is the third offering of the Kinsey Milhone series.  Kinsey is a Private Investigator but not the kind you are used to seeing in this kind of novel.  She is smart, witty and no nonsense and a very pleasant contrast to the Stephanie Plum character from the Janet Evanovich series.  It's refreshing to see a smart and competent single woman who is not subject to falling for the pretty boys that cross her path.

The main plot circulates around an accidental death turned homicide in an affluent family.  Kinsey has a personal attachment to the victim as well as a professional one which added a nice intrigue to the story and both helped and hurt her investigation.

The subplot was a pleasant sidetrack without taking away from the focus of the main plot.  All of the personal characters in Kinsey's life make an appearance in a meaningful way.  All in all, not high literature but a pleasant fictional distraction from the monotony of the road.

Goodreads rating: 3 (rounded down from 3.5)

On Deck (audio): "A Time to Kill" by John Grisham
In Progress (nook):  "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson

1 comment:

  1. I think I've gotten to F in this series, but I always get side tracked and then I forget where I am in the series. But, I have enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete