TCBOB

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

#10 - Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich

Why can't I stop reading (audiobooking?) this series? After the tragedy of Explosive Eighteen I swore off of all things Plum...then the new one comes out and I think "maybe Janet will have listened to everyone on goodreads and toned down the explosions, sexual tension and ridiculous Lula-isms and give us some real character development."

Then I start reading (listening?) and it starts with ridiculous Lula-isms, followed immediately by a car explosion, and then transitions directly into the standard "I am in love with Morelli but still want to bang Ranger" drama.  I found myself banging my head on the steering wheel somewhere between Webster City and Blairsburg.

OK so standard plot, Stephanie is broke, needs to find a skip, and gets in a lot of trouble by looking for said skips.  The addition of Tiki to this book makes for some nice internal dialogue even though the resolution to that sub plot is not only implausible but stupid.  The sub sub plot of Ranger's friend who is in trouble was a bit much and I would often forget that that was going on at the same time while I was into the other plots.

The blessing of this book is that it is short (only about 7 hours in audio format) so I slipped through it in about a day and a half behind the wheel.  That equates to about two hours with a paperback and a cup of coffee.

My advice would be to read it if you are hopelessly addicted to Stephanie Plum but: wait for summer when you are baking in the sun and need some non-heavy reading, and don't expect anything but a carbon copy of the previous seventeen books.

My Goodreads Rating: 2 stars (1.5 rounded up - yeah it was that bad/disappointing)

On Deck (audio): The Firm by John Grisham (yeah shut up Mandi)
Currently reading (nook): Damned by Chuck Palahniuk (yeah I'm STILL slogging through it I've been busy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment