TCBOB

Sunday, January 6, 2013

#3 - The Black Box by Michael Connelly

My third book of the year was in the form of an audiobook presentation by Audible.com.  While I am travelling, audiobooks have really been a godsend, keeping me awake, focused and most importantly, engaged in the world of the author through the narration.

In my evaluation of audiobooks I will review not only the novel but also the recording.  I strongly believe that a bad narrator can influence the entire experience of the book.  For example, I read all of the Janet Evanovich books via audible two summers ago and, looking back, the ones that I disliked the most were the ones that did not use the "regular" narrator that read the majority of the series.

That being said, Michael Connelly and I have had a great audiobook relationship.  The Harry Bosch series of books lead me into reading both his stand-alone novels as well as the Mickey Haller series (on which The Lincoln Lawyer movie was based).

The Black Box did not disappoint! Bosch has been through many changes over the last decade of books starring this character but I am really enjoying his exploits of having to balance being a single dad, and being assigned to the "Open Unsolved Division" or what we would know as cold cases.  His ability to pick apart the pieces of the cases and get down to the core issues of the investigations keeps you on your toes.  This novel does much the same thing, one lead following another and a little twist at the end to keep it interesting.  Even the somewhat repetitive subplot of the Internal Affairs investigation ended up tying in nicely at the end.  Another solid continuation of the stories and characters I have come to love.

Goodreads rating: 4 stars
Audio on deck: Tough Sh*t, Advice from a Fat Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith
Set to finish  "Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Sex and Science" by Mary Roach in the next day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment