TCBOB

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

#5 - Tough Sh*t by Kevin Smith

Ok first just know that if you are not comfortable with vulgar language, gratuitous and graphic vocabulary regarding sexual organs and frank, straight viewpoints on hollywood and surrounding topics, this is not the book for you.

That being said, I have been a Kevin Smith fan since the advent of Clerks in 1994.  In fact a good majority of free time my sophomore year of college was spent on the original Jersey trilogy of Clerks, Mallrats and Chasing Amy.  I appreciated the cinematic originality and crazy story telling ability of Smith to create a world that seemed like it was being taped behind the counter of my local haunts.

So it seemed a no-brainer to read this book.  When I found out that Kevin himself recorded the audiobook (in his own home, while smoking copious amounts of pot) I knew this was DEFINITELY one to "read" on audio on my commute to Eastern Iowa.

The book didn't disappoint, it was written just like Kevin talks, after seeing two of his TV specials ("An Evening with Kevin Smith" and "Too Fat for Forty") I had already heard versions of some of the stories that he told (thus the 4 star rating which would have been 4.5 if available) but what really intrigued me are the stories of growing up in the dawn of the late eighties/early nineties indie film explosion, the stories about distribution and marketing without using the mass media machine that the big blockbusters utilize and making his own success.

I was also impressed with his intense love for his wife and his ability to express her love and support in a way that was self deprecating and incredibly tender and sweet.  I'm excited to see what the next incarnation of Kevin Smith is going to entail.  As long as his unique storytelling style is part of the mix, I know it will be amusing and funny and worth the time.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars (rounded down from 4.5)
On Deck (audio): C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton
Currently In Progress (nook): The End of Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe

1 comment: