TCBOB

Friday, January 4, 2013

#2 - Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Yay progress!  You could definitely tell that this was Gillian Flynn's first novel.  The character development was spot on but the climax of the book which is set up as a murder mystery/reporter story wasn't surprising.  The motives however caught me off guard.      Gillian Flynn's writing style is SO raw and emotional.  There were several times when I would exclaim out loud "Wow! Did I just read that?"

The main character, Camille, is rolled out slowly but once you find out that she is a cutter, the words she carved into her skin take on a character of their very own.  The family dynamic was insane but Flynn took her time setting up each tableau in a way that NO movie will ever be able to set up better than I have it in my head.  Especially the final family dinner where things begin to unravel.  I could just see it all in my mind's eye vividly.

Even though I slid through this book in a few evenings it is not a light read by any means.  Prepare yourself to meet some seriously damaged humans through these pages.

Goodreads rating: 5 stars (4.5 if they had half stars just because of the predictable "who is the murderer plot"

On Deck: I will probably be finishing "The Black Box" by Michael Connelly tomorrow on audio book
On Deck (nook): "Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Sex and Science" by Mary Roach.

1 comment: