TCBOB

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

#25 The Dinner by Herman Koch

I first heard about this book on NPR one morning and was intrigued.  When I logged in to goodreads, the first thing I saw was "The Dutch version of Gone Girl" and I was instantly skeptical.

Comparisons to Gillian Flynn is greatly exaggerated but it was still a great novel - not quite a five star but I think that has more to do with the translation from Dutch from a literary standpoint.  But definitely a 4.5! The characters were all wholly fleshed out and vibrant and I think I related to the narrator, Paul, more than I am comfortable admitting.

To be clear I do not condone the actions that any of the characters took but the end of this book had me sighing out loud and it ended with a crooked smile playing at my lips. It shows what the connection between two people who truly love each other and are committed to each other can communicate with only hand strokes and eye contact.  It shows what they can overcome when dealing with things like the teenage years and mental illness, work troubles, and extended family.

Above all, the conversation over the dinner in question makes you think of what you would really do to protect your family and the people that you love.  It dug into the idea of right and wrong and where the line should be drawn when it comes to teenage angst and rebellion.

Goodreads rating: 4.5 (struggling with the rounding seriously!!!!)

On Deck: Holy Sh!t: A brief history of swearing
In Progress: Survivor in Death (audio)



No comments:

Post a Comment