TCBOB

Monday, March 17, 2014

#14 - Travelling Sprinkler by Nicholson Baker

This was a fun find from browsing the Overdrive audio book library and found good feedback on Goodreads that intrigued me.  The final result: this is quirk done right.  This is one of those books that I would classify as a "writers novel", it gets to the heart of what goes on inside the head of the author and runs as a stream of consciousness through his character, Paul Chowder.

Whereas other reviewers I have seen found his forays about the bassoon and music distracting, I found the musical references fitting and somehow appropriate to the feelings that the narrator was going through.

Listening to this book as opposed to reading it was like having a friend in my car telling me stories about his day.  Paul Chowder's voice was like that of one of my friends from high school or college in is eccentricity and made the whole book very enjoyable.

Goodreads rating: 4 stars

Read date: March 17, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment