TCBOB

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

#12 - Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding

I was just transported back to my college years when we all fell to the bible of dating neuroticism that was Bridget Jones Diary.  It was a complete jolt to reality that Bridget is now 50 (!?!?) and it took me some time to adjust to the fact that nearly 20 years have passed since we first met our hapless heroine stumbling through her 30's.  Damned if it doesn't make me feel older than I need to though.

Helen Fielding is a very brave soul with the direction that she took with this installment of Bridget Jones <sidenote: this is going to be hard to write without being spoilerific> but I understand why she did - that decision kept this book with the same feeling and rhythm as the first two but its just not what I wanted for this character with whom I once so closely related.

Regardless, this is a must read for any of us single chicks who entered the world of chick lit while it was still new and exciting.

Goodreads rating: 4 stars rounded up for nostalgia's sake...

Read date: March 4, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment