TCBOB

Sunday, November 24, 2013

#87 - We Live In Water by Jess Walter

I have really been into the short story collections as of late and I have to say that this one was just excellent. The author's voice is so clear and you could hear that it was truly his own experiences that shaped the characters in these stories. While all of the stories are great in their own ways, my particular favorites include "Don't Eat Cat" which I didn't think I would like because I am sick to death of zombie stories but the twist that Walter threw in was just the right tone. "Virgo" about the horoscope stalker, and "Wheelbarrow Kings" which was just the right balance between funny and tragic. I even giggled in my car listening to the author himself read the last chapter about his beloved hometown...

I'm definitely going to be looking into more of Jess Walter's writing. It's strong and inventive and so much of what has been lacking out of my last few reads. 

Goodreads Rating: 5 stars (4.5 rounded up)

Date read: Nov 21, 2013

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15818259-we-live-in-water



No comments:

Post a Comment