TCBOB

Sunday, November 24, 2013

#85 - Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Eat Pray Love was one of "those" books that was recommended, purchased and sat on my shelf for several years (in fact it was #4 on my to read shelf so one of the first I put on there when I joined this site). Ironically, it was finding it on the Overdrive Audiobook site through my library and finding out it was read by the author (I'm a sucker for autobiographies read by the author) that got me to finally indulge in the story. 

There were things I loved, I was completely envious of the opportunity that Liz had to travel while unattached, to truly experience a year of her life the way she wanted to unencumbered by the strains of daily life. If I had that chance, my bags would be packed in no time. I love her writing pattern and hearing her read it brought everything into light. I especially loved her love of the Italian language, food, picking up friends as she went along and how she left a legacy behind for her friends by buying her a house. Quite lovely.

There were things I didn't love. I know its a true story but her getting to glide off a year of intense self discovery just to end up with a man was a crazy turn off for me so the whole last half of Indonesia part just totally took my interest off the rails. Call me a cynic but I much prefered her banter with "Richard from Texas" or "Mario the Hotel Clerk" to her relationship with her latin lover.

I'm still glad I read it not only to say that I did but to say what I would do with a free year of my life and nothing to tie me down. See ya in Bali!

Goodreads rating: 4 stars

Date read: November 15, 2013

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19501.Eat_Pray_Love

No comments:

Post a Comment