TCBOB

Sunday, November 24, 2013

#86 - Cartwheel by Jennifer DuBois

I must be missing something. I am reading all of these glowing and fantastical reviews for this book and I, honestly, just didn't get it. At all. The writing was intelligent but meandering and I found the whole book to be simultaneously pretentious and inane which is an impressive feat indeed. It seemed as though pages could elapse between one character positing a question or statement in a conversation and when the reply came. In between was an elaborate backstory that really had little to do with the plot we were dealing with at the time. 

Much has been said about the story being less about the who but more about the why but I reread the last chapter twice and I am no closer to understanding why this happened, why I had to know about Eduardo and Maria and honestly, if she ever really did it. 

Sorry everyone but this just wasn't my favorite. I do want to extend a thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this novel.

Goodreads rating: 2 stars

Currently Reading: 8 bit Christmas by Kevin Jakubowsky (nook)
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (audio


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17857661-cartwheel

No comments:

Post a Comment