TCBOB

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

#66 - Life Of Pi by Yann Martel

I have a feeling that I was supposed to like this book a lot more than I did.  It's the critically acclaimed - made it into a movie - must read pick but it just didn't click with me.

It had a good start.  I enjoyed hearing about Pi's upbringing, his time at the zoo, the influence of his father and his uncle.  I especially enjoyed the discussion about how Pi ended up being a Christian, a Muslim and a Hindu all at the same time.

Then the boat sank...

At first there was the tension - the discovery of the unexpected cargo on the life boat and the uncertainty of how this would all play out.  Then there was the monotonous middle.  I know that was by design - to illustrate the days and weeks and months all strung together but I got to a point where I really didn't need to hear about each fish that was caught, etc.

The end worked for me and I'm grateful for the little piece of intrigue that left me going hmmm...I wonder....

All in all - not the mind shaking experience that I was expecting with all of the hype but a good book nonetheless.

Goodreads rating: 3 stars

On Deck: (nook): The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes
(audio): The Buddha In The Attic by Julie Otsaka
(paper): Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin


1 comment: