TCBOB

Monday, July 15, 2013

#64 - The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison

Darn it darn it darn it.  I really did.  I really wanted to love this novel. I had it on my "to read" list and then - The Starbucks Effect happened and it was a free ibooks download so that sealed the deal.

The first half of the book is slow.  No that is giving it too much credit it was...SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW.  It did, however give enough intrigue to keep me plugging through and I'm glad I did.  So make it through some of the more pathetic parts to reach the moments of brilliance in the last third of this book.

And there were moments of brilliance.  There were moments in that last half that literally took my breath away and moments that made me feel like I was being punched in the gut. But then there were moments that were just stupid and pointless right after that.  It was almost as if Evison was trying too hard to smooth out all of the raw emotional edges.

I wavered for days between a three and a four rating so effectively a 3.5. I rounded down for the sake of Goodreads but don't let that stop you from trying this book.  I just had to take the half out for the offenses of the pre-roadtrip part of the book.

Goodreads rating: 3.5 rounded down to 3

In progress: (audio) Life of Pi by Yan Patel
Non-Fiction: Super Boys by Brad Ricca
Fiction: The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes


No comments:

Post a Comment