TCBOB

Saturday, August 24, 2013

#73 - Townie: A Memoir by Andre Dubus III

I have had this on my "to read" list for awhile and was browsing the non-fiction audio offerings from my library when this one popped up.  So I thought I would give it a try.

The good: It was read by the author which is really the only way a memoir should be presented in audio format. The bad: Mr. Dubus III has a very montone Jersey voice which made this a very long listen.

This is very much a "coming of age" type of story - coming from a rough, violent path and into adulthood where peace means more than punches.  The first half feels very disjointed - as if the author is trying to put as many rough stories into the book as possible with very little thought toward chronology but, as he grows, it becomes much more enjoyable and I am glad I knew the back stories for maximum impact.

All in all i'm split down the middle on this book but rounded my rating up for the lovely ending.

Goodreads rating: 3 stars

On deck(audio): When It Happens To You by Molly Ringwald
In Progress (paper): Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin and (ibooks) Insurgent by Veronica Roth.


1 comment:

  1. This is not a book for the fainthearted. It is indeed violent. For me, it gave me great insight into the rage that you find in his novels. The other plus is that it is a study of how he comes to learn that violence is not the answer to everything. I was hoping that it would go that far.

    Loved it!
    Best Reviews for Website Design Indianapolis Website

    ReplyDelete