TCBOB

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

#72 - Divergent by Veronica Roth

I resisted getting involved with the Divergent series for a long time dismissing it as a formulaic "Dystopian YA novel with a kick ass female lead" But I gotta say, after having a bad taste in my mouth after the first book of Matched and my own skeptical mind; I am glad I took the leap and gave Roth and her version of post-America Chicago a chance.

What's different between this and say The Hunger Games? (which I liked but didn't love and had totally lost interest in by the end of the series) In concept - not much...but in execution there was a world of difference.  The writing and character development in this book was really smooth and kept the action moving while not murking up the flow with too many superfluous fight scenes and violence.  I really enjoyed how the different factions are represented and how their different personality traits shine through in intense circumstances.

All of the actions and reactions felt very genuine (even though some of the love stories and face-offs remind you that you are reading a YA target market book) The last 10 chapters are not to be missed!!!

Goodreads rating: 4 stars
On Deck: Insurgent by Veronica Roth (gotta get it read before book 3 comes out in October)
In Progress: Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin.

No comments:

Post a Comment