TCBOB

Thursday, February 27, 2014

#7 - Byron Easy by Jude Cook

Many thanks to Netgalley, Jude Cook, and Pegasus Publishing for allowing me an advanced reader copy of Byron Easy.

This book is a marathon - not a sprint. The writing is brilliant and full and extremely dense and the main character has a completely phrenetic yet intriguingly beautiful way of looking at the world.  As you can probably tell from the jacket, this is not a feel good kind of book.  It's the story of a drunk, broke, depressed, wanna be author told in a combination of flashback and present tense that somehow works together to create the story.

Not everyone is going to love this and I can't say that I really loved it in the way I wanted to but there were moments of true brilliance hidden in these pages as well as madness and extreme self indulgence.

Fans of Kerouac and Vonnegut will be incredibly comfortable between the covers of this story.

Goodreads rating: right between 3 and 4 stars but the fact that this book took me a full month to slog through had me round it down.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17242822-byron-easy

No comments:

Post a Comment