TCBOB

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

#81 - Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou

I have a confession to make.  I don't know why the caged bird sings.  I have read some poems and speeches by the treasured Maya Angelou but I have never read any of her novels all the way through.

I love autobiographies, especially when the author reads their work themselves but I came away from this story a little bit underwhelmed.  Her life is fascinating and there was a great lesson to be learned about forgiveness, even under seemingly insurmountable circumstances,  and the power of parenting with an open heart in the pages of this book.

In the end - I just wanted more from this book.  It is beautiful in its simplicity, but at times it was just too simple.  Some of the stories and situations warranted just a little something more.  Major issues were sort of glossed over but small details were emphasized.  In the end, the good and the bad balanced out and  I was completely neutral.

Goodreads rating: 2.5 stars rounded up to 3 for the candor and the author read.

In progress: The House of Hades by Rick Riordan
On Deck(audio): Cruel and Unusual by Patricia Cornwell




No comments:

Post a Comment