TCBOB

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall

I finally finished this lovely novel.  I originally received a copy of this book via Netgalley back in 2013 (OOPS!) But it showed up on my recommended reading list and I went back to the title.  I am so glad that I did!

Susan Crandall does a lovely job of creating the world of Starla - who believes in a story about her mother so much that, when she gets in trouble at home, her blind faith sends her to look for her and finds experiences that she never imagined could exist in the world.

The real star of the novel, for me, is Eula, a penniless black woman who teaches Starla more about love and devotion than any of her natural family ever could.

If you are looking for a summer read with more substance than your standard Beach novel, I highly recommend Whistling Past The Graveyard by Susan Crandall.



No comments:

Post a Comment