TCBOB

Friday, April 18, 2014

#19 - Big Brother by Lionel Shriver

After last year's reading of "We Need To Talk About Kevin" I was instantly intrigued by the new novel "Big Brother" by Lionel Shriver.  For the most part it did not disappoint however it was a whole lot different than Kevin in some key ways.

First of all I got a huge nerd buzz by reading about a book set in Iowa of all places.  When I was reading, I assumed that Shriver grew up in Iowa, the little touches like the DeVries bakery (I went to summer camp with someone by that name), picking Edison up at the Cedar Rapids airport (I have flown out of that place), and the dutch touches all around the fictional town of New Holland felt like someone who knew Iowa intimately.

The main theme of the book is extremes and the destruction they can inflict on a family.  I was right there along with Pandora during the entire journey.  The theory that "it's easier to be perfect than to be occasionally bad" rang in my mind. I am one of those people for whom it is easier to live on 4 packets of ready mix shakes than to diet and have cheat days.  The scene with Fletcher in the diner when Pandora has obviously lost way too much weight was frighteningly honest and I think more people should be called out on their extreme swings.

And then the last chapter happened.  I know I complain about endings a lot - but seriously - come on - I felt cheap and dirty and used after the last chapter.  I won't give it away because I want you to enjoy every morsel of goodness that happens in the first 300 pages of this novel, please read it, its worth it. Just know its coming.  I'd love to hear what you think of it if you pick it up yourself.

Goodreads rating: 4 stars (solely based on the ending)

Date read: April 18, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment