TCBOB

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Knees by Vanita Oelschlager

One of the great things about my membership to NetGalley is the ability to browse a large genre of books including Children's Books to share with my little ones.  Although I don't count anything below the YA rating on my books for the year, I wanted to give an honest review of Knees by Vanita Oelschlager from the perspective of myself, and the two little ones in my household.

Review #1: Momma (age undisclosed)
I loved the concept of this book, seeing the world through the perspective of a boy with dyslexia.  It's a hard concept to convey to kids who don't understand how people can "see" things different from how they perceive them.  So the first half of the book was really awesome.  The author then goes into a concept of "finding something that you are good at.  An equally good thing to teach to young children but I think I might have missed the transition somewhere.  The rhyme and rhythm kept things interesting throughout the book and overall I enjoyed the story and the interesting approach to the problem.

Review #2: Jackson (age 8)
I liked this book about the boy who sees things backward.  At the end he felt good that he could play basketball and that was good.  I felt bad that he could not see the right letters, sometimes I feel that way on my spelling test. I want my mom to put this book on my kindle not just hers.

Review #3: Joseph (age 3)
Sat through about half of it and then needed a 30 second dance break. Yeah not the target age range for "Knees"

Altogether a good little kids book.  Probably for an age range of 7-10 Thanks for the opportunity to screen it!

No comments:

Post a Comment